- Neuromuscular diseases
- Myasthenia gravis
- Multiple sclerosis
Although I have specialized in caring for patients with neuromuscular diseases and multiple sclerosis, I enjoy seeing patients with a wide range of neurological disorders. I feel blessed that my work involves helping others and trying to alleviate suffering caused by illnesses.
I study and perform Indian classical music on a stringed instrument – Sarod. Other interests include photography, reading, and traveling.
Abbott Northwestern’s Neuroscience Institute
Abbott Northwestern Hospital
800 East 28th Street, Suite 304
Minneapolis, MN 55407
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.) – University of Bombay, India, 1983
- Doctor of Medicine, Board certified Internal Medicine – University of Bombay, India, 1987
- Internal Medicine Residency – BYL Nair Hospital, University of Bombay, India, 1987
- Internal Medicine Residency – Interfaith Medical Center, SUNY, Brooklyn, 1989
- Neurology Residency – University of Illinois at Chicago, 1990
- Neurology Residency – University of Iowa, 1992
- Clinical Electrophysiology Fellowship (EMG, EEG, EP) – University of Iowa, 1993
- Neuromuscular Disorders Fellowship – University of Iowa, 1994
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Adult Neurology
- Board Certified, American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Academy of Neurology, Certification in Nerve Pathology
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neuromuscular Medicine
Directorships, Boards, Additional Positions
- Neuromuscular Pathology Examination Committee, United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS): 2005-present
- Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Department of Neurology: 2007-present
- Associate Professor, University of Iowa, Department of Neurology & Pathology; Director, Neuromuscular Program; Director, ALS Clinic; Associate Director, Neurology Residency Program: 2001-2006
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Department of Neurology; Director, ALS Clinic; Director, Neurology Residency Program: 1996-2000
- P.Kelkar, S. Chang, S. Muley. Response to oral supplementation in copper deficiency myeloneuropathy. J Clic Neuromuscul Dis, 10:1-3, 2008.
- S. Muley, P.Kelkar, G. Parry. Treatment of Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy with Pulsed Oral Steroids, Arch Neurol.65(11):1460-1464, 2008.
- S. Chahin, M. Garwood, E. St Louis, E. Shivapour, P. Kelkar, M. Granner. Intramedullary Sjogren’s Syndrome, Neurology, Neurology 73;2041-2042, 2009.
- Parry GJ1, Rodrigues CMP, Aranha MM, Hilbert S, Davey C, Kelkar P, Low WC, Steer CJ. Safety, tolerability and cerebrospinal fluid penetration of ursodeoxycholic acid in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Clinical Pharmacology 33(1);17-21, 2010.
- P.Kelkar, C. Farmer, A Liu. Natalizumab efficacy in a clinical practice setting with multiple sclerosis patients – a retrospective, single-center study in a community neurology clinic. The 63rd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, Honolulu, April 2011.