- Sleep Medicine
- Clinical Neurophysiology
My medical training has emphasized that the needs of the patient always come first. I strive to establish lasting relationships with my patients through comprehensive and compassionate care for those with neurologic and sleep disorders. I also recognize the importance of strong, collaborative partnerships with my referring providers.
My special interests include patient and medical student/resident education, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless legs syndrome, insomnia, nocturnal seizures and other parasomnias.
- Doctor of Medicine – University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2001-2005
- Internal Medicine Internship – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2005-2006
- Neurology Residency – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2006-2009
- Sleep Medicine Fellowship – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2009-2010
- Board Certified – American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board Certified – American Board of Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Publications, Additional Positions, Awards, Current Research
- Medical Director, North Memorial Sleep Medicine, 2010-present
- Chief of Neurology, North Memorial Health Care, 2013 – present
- Medical Executive Committee, North Memorial Health Care, 2013 – present
- Mentoring Physician – Minneapolis Community & Technical College Sleep Technologist Program, 2013 – present
- Mentoring Physician – North Memorial Family Medicine Residency Program, 2010 – present
- Mentoring Physician – University of Minnesota Neurology Residency Program, 2010 – present
- Instructor in Neurology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2009-2010
- Chief Resident in Neurology – Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2008-2009
- Strollo PJ, Soose RJ, Maurer JT, DeVries N, Cornelius JR, et al. Upper Airway Stimulation for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. New England Journal of Medicine 2014; 370:139-49.
- Cornelius JR, Pittock SJ, McKeon A, Lennon VA, Aston PA, Josephs KA, Tippmann-Peikert M, Silber MH. Sleep Manifestations of Voltage-Gated Potassium Channel Autoimmunity. Archives of Neurology 2011; 68(6):733-38.
- Cornelius JR. Questions and Answers in Sleep Medicine. Minnesota Health Care News 2011; 9(8):8-9.
- Cornelius JR, Tippmann-Peikert M, Slocumb NL, Frerichs CF, Silber MH. Impulse Control Disorders with the use of Dopaminergic Agents in Restless Legs Syndrome: A Case-Control Study. Sleep 2010; 33(1):81-7.
- Cornelius JR. Atlas of Clinical Sleep Medicine [Book Review]. Neurology 2010; 75:840.
- Cornelius JR, Boes CJ, Ghearing G, Leavitt JA, Kumar N. Visual symptoms in the Heidenhain Variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. Journal of Neuroimaging 2009; 19:283-87.
- Cornelius JR, Zubkov AY, Wijdicks EFM. Following the Clot in Spectacular Shrinking Deficit. Reviews in Neurological Diseases 2008; 5(2):92-4.
- “Effects of the Inspire Implantable Nerve Stimulation System on Obstructive Sleep Apnea.” Primary investigator, North Memorial Sleep Health Center. Sponsor: Inspire Medical Systems (Maple Grove, MN); 2010-present.
- Phi Beta Kappa, The College of William and Mary, 2001
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2005
- Excellence in Internship – Best Preliminary Intern, Mayo Clinic Department of Internal Medicine, 2006
- Chief Resident Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Neurology, 2009
- National Top 10 Clinical Research Achievement Award, Clinical Research Forum, 2015
- Minnesota Monthly Best Doctors, Neurology/Sleep Medicine, 2015-2018
- Mpls. St. Paul Magazine Top Doctors – Rising Stars, Neurology/Sleep Medicine, 2016-2018
For additional information: