Neck pain and dysfunction can be localized to the spine, or can cause other symptoms such as headache, arm pain, or tingling and numbness into one or both arms.
Many factors can contribute to neck pain, including:
- Poor posture or poor body mechanics with daily activities
- Wear and tear on the cervical (neck) vertebrae and discs
- Weakness of the upper body muscles
- Injury to the area, including concussion or whiplash
- Chronic tightness of the neck muscles or joints
To learn more about the various causes of neck pain and dysfunction, refer to our Neurology Library’s Neck Pain and Disorders article.
MCN Physical Therapy for Neck Pain and Dysfunction
Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology physical therapists are highly skilled in the assessment and treatment of neck conditions. Working with neurologists has provided our therapists the opportunity to develop exceptional skills in the assessment and treatment of spinal conditions in order to attain optimal patient outcomes. Our therapists start by thoroughly examining and determining the factors causing the neck pain/symptoms, in conjunction with your neurologist’s assessment. The therapist then develops a rehabilitation plan of care to address the identified dysfunctions, improve the patient’s self-management of the condition, and meet the patient’s activity, work and/or lifestyle goals.
Common PT treatments for neck disorders include:
- Range of motion and stretching exercises for the neck
- Retraining posture and improving ergonomics, especially for work or daily activities
- Strengthening and stabilizing neck, upper back/shoulder blade and upper extremity muscles
- Manual therapy to the neck. This may include joint mobilizations (moving the neck vertebrae), traction (elongating the spine either by the therapist or by using a traction machine), soft tissue mobilization to specific neck and upper back muscles, or other hands-on techniques to improve the mobility of your muscles and joints
- Modalities, including ultrasound, electrical stimulation, heat or ice
- Education on lifestyle changes and self-management techniques
- Treatment of any other related problems aggravating the neck pain